Saturday, February 22, 2014

Spotlight: George Knows By Mindy Mymudes @VBTCafe




Title: George Knows
Author Name: Mindy Mymudes



Author Bio: Mindy Mymudes runs with the Muddy Paws Pack in Milwaukee, WI. She insists she is alpha, even as the dogs walk all over her. She hunts, cleans the den and keeps them entertained. When she can escape the pack, she enjoys digging in dirt, listening to audiobooks, and weaving the antics of the pack into stories. The alpha male, Tall Dude, just shakes his head and stays out of the way.


Author Links -




Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6702514.Mindy_Mymudes?from_search=true



Book Genre: Urban Fantasy, Midgrade
Publisher: MuseItUp
Release Date: Dec. 6
Buy Link(s): Amazon

Book Description: An egotistical magical basset hound named George believes it's his duty to train and protect his 12-year-old, a greenwitch named Karly. The world is full of people who don't know how to use their natural human senses, and while teaching Karly to use hers, he's also teaching her how to use her magic. George is the perfectly designed familiar.













Excerpt:


I don't understand my Girlpup; the rest of my Pack adores me. Packmom Doreen is always an easy conquest. She saved me when I was a puppy and I fell over my ears, and my legs wouldn't stay under me. She is the most important member of the Pack-she feeds us.
Just not often enough.
Packdad Brian is very well trained and does whatever Packmom Doreen wants. In the last two years, I've become a model of the perfect hunting hound. Karly needs to see me for what I am, and she doesn't.
Yet.
When I prowl in her mind, I see how she pictures me-a clumsy, stupid, wobbly pup. I shouldn't have to prove to her I am the best familiar in the world or that I am brilliant. I shouldn't, but I know I'll have to.
"George!" she shouts through panting. Why is she running? "Where the heck are you?"
Although Karly's scent changed after her twelfth birthday from sweetmilkFrootLoops to that fakeflowerchemical that she thinks removes her odor, I know it's her. Even if I can't smell her, I can still hear her stumble over the path. Big rocks and trees that scrape the sky get in the way. She needs to get lower to the ground. Now she's sneezing. If only she'd work with me, her allergies would go bye-bye. Whoever heard of an allergic witch-in-training? We can use green magic. Except, Karly will first have to trust me.
And she doesn't.
Yet.
Maybe when she gets older.
She will.
I continue to scrape my claws into the damp ground, searching for more smelltastes and listening for my Girlpup. She's panting like it's a hot day. At least she's catching up. I am satisfied she's okay, and dig like a badger with my wonderful big paws and claws, the ideal excavation tools. I wish I was digging up the den of a rabbit. I slow to sniff.
No.
There's no rabbit here.
Something different's calling me.
What the heck is it?
Dirt and roots pile up behind me, and my rear is now higher than my front as I dig. I scrape against rocks and try to push them away. They aren't rocks-too long and thin. I wrap my jaws around one and toss it with a headshake out of the hole. I find another and do the same thing, until there is a pile of buff-colored things that looks like bleached driftwood.
I heave myself out of the hole and investigate my find. The thick sticks are hairy with fine roots. I pick one up. It's light for its size, hollow, and about the size of a rawhide bone. It has a round knob on one side and is broken off on the other. I retrieve more pieces from the hole and sit. Maybe they are old branches.
No.
They don't smelltaste like old branches.
Hmm.
Karly finally shows up, huffing and puffing, out of breath. She needs to get out more. I poke my nose into the pile of things I've dug out. "George, what are you doing? You aren't, um, eating those, are you?"
I look at her like she's crazy. I don't eat wood.
Anymore.
Karly points to the things and counts them. "So what did you find? There are nine of whatever they are." She bends down and touches one. "Weird, they look like someone snapped them in half." My Girlpup takes one of the longer things and rubs off the dirt.
She drops it like it's a pan just out of the oven. I take a sniff; it's not hot. There's something here, though.
Not a good something, either.
"G-G-George, those are bones," Karly's voice breaks as she stutters over my name. I take another sniff. Yeah, they could be bones. What's the problem with that? I lick one. It tastes like dirt. They've been here a long time.
Yup.
That's it.
Just a bunch of animal bones. Maybe a big dog buried them. What's bothering her? The hackles rise on the back of my neck. The not good gassulfurdrysnakecatstink smelltaste spins around my brain like smoke.
Oh.
Oh no.
I hack and cough. I know exactly what kind of bones these are.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for spending time with George. It's nice to get a break from hi!

Unknown said...

Awesome excerpt and giveaway! I wish the author much success on her tour:O)