Thursday, September 15, 2016

Review: The Darkest Days by R.L. Blalock @rocblalock

The Darkest Days
(Death & Decay Book 0.5)
by R.L. Blalock
Published: August 27, 2016
Genre: Genre: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Post-Apocalyptic


Blurb:

**SHORT STORY TO BE READ ALONG SIDE THE DEATH & DECAY SERIES NOVELS**

To protect and serve.

The motto that every officer is taught from their first day in the academy. On a humid June day in St. Louis, it is a motto that could get Officer Wyatt Ward killed.

Desperate citizens flock to the station as the officers of the Cottleville Police Department struggle to handle the chaos that is enveloping a city already shaken by rioting. But as darkness descends something much worse is rising.

The deranged. Brutal, unforgiving, single-minded monsters that were once the citizens Wyatt was sworn to protect. Now, they attack. They bite. They infect.

As fear takes hold…
As the city begins to eat itself…
As the world crumbles…
What is a man who is sworn to protect to do as the world dies?



Buy Links:


My Review:

Officer Wyatt Ward’s day is not going too well. Ever since he came to work this morning there have been a lot of weird calls. Now he gets a call that there is a dead body on the street. Right before he makes it to the street where the dead body was reported a call goes out that one of their officers was in trouble. Wyatt wants to go help his fellow officer but he has a call of his own that he must attend to first. But when he gets there the body is gone and while he is looking around to see what might be going on the dispatcher comes on the radio telling all officers are to report to the station now.

Once Wyatt is back at the station he sees a lot of people trying to get into the station. Wyatt meets another officer while trying to make his way inside. On closer inspection they soon realize that some of the people are eating other people. They don’t have a clue what is going on but when one of these people come at them trying to eat them as well it is on then and it doesn’t matter as to why they are trying to eat them.

Well needless to say it is not long before the station if overrun with these monsters that use to be human. Wyatt and the other officers are not sure what to do. It is their job to protect the people but how do they protect the people when the same people are attacking them? Will Wyatt and the other officers end up trapped in the police station? Who will make it out alive? Will anyone make it out alive? Who is going to protect the ones that are supposed to do the protecting?

I have honestly enjoyed following along with Officer Wyatt while he fights the zombies. I sure do love me some zombies and if you love zombies then you are going to as I say “tee totally” love The Darkest Days. I highly recommend The Darkest Days to anyone who loves a good zombie story of any kind.


An Interview with R.L. Blalock

So, what have you written?  
My first work was a novella called Mark of Perdition. It’s a demonic story that started as a nightmare and allowed me to find my voice as an author. Currently, it’s free for anyone to read on wattpad.
After that, I wrote another novella called The Darkest Days. It’s an offshoot of the Death & Decay series. I loved writing it because it was all action. I felt like I really hit my stride while writing it and it gave me a lot more confidence when I tackled my novel, Devour. Devour is the first novel in the Death & decay series. It’s really where the story starts and what I wanted to write for a long time.
Right now, I’m working on Divided, book two in the Death & Decay series. This one has tripped me up a few times. There is a lot going on with the story. But I’m really excited for it to be finished.

What genre are your books?  
Science fiction and horror. Both together and separate.

What draws you to this genre?  
I like stories that draw me into a new world, even if that world is terrifying. I want something that will let me forget about reality, even if it’s just for a little bit. I particularly like storylines where the needs are much more basic. Survival, food, water, shelter. Things that make the problems of daily life insignificant. It’s that kind of dire situation that I can really lose myself in and shrug off the stress of the day.

When did you decide to become a writer?  
When I really decided to go for it and write something, was not too long after my daughter was born. I have wanted to be a writer since middle school, but after my daughter was born it became much more important. Parents are supposed to lead and teach by example and if I want her to follow her dreams and make them a reality, then I need to show her that it can be done by following through with my own dreams.

Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors?  
Finding time to read has gotten difficult between working, writing, and raising a 3-year-old, but I try to set aside at least thirty minutes each night. My all-time favorite authors have to Joe McKinney, Rhiannon Frater, Ernest Cline, David Wong, Anne McCaffrey, and Tamora Pierce.

For your own reading, do you prefer ebooks or traditional paper/hard back books?  
I’m old school. I love a good, old paperback book. I love the feel of the pages and the look of the words. I love being able to see them on my bookshelf and be instantly reminded of the other world they hold within their pages. However, begrudgingly I have a kindle I read off of for the most part. IT’s hard to argue when the books are so much less expensive.

What are your thoughts on good/bad reviews?
Good reviews are what keep writers going on the bad days. I still remember my first five-star review. I was stressed out by work, stressed out with an upcoming book launch, a to-do list that could bury an elephant, a novel that was well behind schedule. But with that one review I could feel some of my energy return. I found new strength to push on and get more done. And each one does that. Each one is like a little energy boost. Someone saying, “keep going. You’ve got this.” As for bad reviews, they are what they are. No one book is going to make everyone happy. That doesn’t mean they aren’t deflating. They are. They can make you question what you’re even doing. But some of the bad reviews can actually be really helpful. They can force you to face the shortcomings of your writing and figure out how to fix them.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Write. And just keep writing. It sounds easy, but it’s not.

You’ll doubt yourself. You’ll doubt your writing, your plot, your characters. But keep pushing forward. Keep getting words on the page. So many people start writing and never follow through with their idea. Even if you just finish the story, you’ve already finished more than most people ever will. 


Other Books in Series:


Devour
(Death & Decay Book 1)
 

Author Bio:
R. L. Blalock’s love of reading started young, but her love of zombies started later in life. In 2008, when R. L. Blalock first watched the remake of Dawn of the Dead she instantly fell in love with the genre.
Born and raised in Sacramento, California, R. L. Blalock now lives in St. Louis, Missouri with her loving husband, precocious three-year-old daughter, two dogs, and a bird.

Find out more about The Darkest Days and R.L. Blalock





0 comments: