Thursday, July 9, 2020

Review: Atom & Go: Genesis by Zach Winderl @zachwinderl


Atom & Go: Genesis
by Zach Winderln
Published: July 9, 2020
Genre: Science Fiction


Blurb:

Atom Ulvan, Left Fist of the Emperor, lived a life of power until a rival family destroyed the Meriwether Clan. Now, on the run across the galaxy, Atom must flee the death behind him and use his unique skill-set to survive.

Intent on hunting down his enemies, his two-year-old daughter Margo might be the only one to stop him. Without her, nothing exists to keep Atom from an all-out war on his betrayers.

Genesis is a space-western odyssey across the galaxy that forces a gun-slinging rogue to balance his life between trying to stay alive and coping with fatherhood on the fly. Hop aboard the One Way Ticket with Atom and Margo as they fly the black in search of redemption, revenge, and a little peace and quiet.




Buy Links:



Interview with Zach Winderl



For those interested in exploring the subject or theme of your book, where should they start?
I would have to say that Atom & Go has a very Firefly-esque theme. It takes place away from the civilized parts of the galaxy and so has a rougher, more cobbled together feel than other science-fiction. There is also the theme of family. The protagonist is a father and the central story is about the lengths he will go to protect his daughter.


How did you become involved with the subject or theme of your book?
The story definitely has a space-western flair, but there are quite a few other influences as well. I lived in Japan for a year as a kid, so I spent a lot of time watching anime and chanbara. I think the whole samurai trope mirrors our westerns. I love the concept of the lone gunslinger who is forced to make their way in a rough and tumble universe. I came across an older samurai series called Lone Wolf and Cub in which a samurai travels feudal Japan with his young son and I thought to myself, how much fun would that be if it could happen in a science-fiction setting.


What were your goals and intentions in this book, and how well do you feel you achieved them?
My goal in writing Atom & Go was to write a rip-roaring story that anyone could read, no matter what age. I wanted to be able to give a copy to my dad and my twelve-year-old daughter and not feel any embarrassment. Well, I gave them both copies, so I’d say I hit the nail on the head.


Anything you would like to say to your readers and fans?
I would tell them to keep on reading. The more you read, the more you support your indie authors.


What did you enjoy most about writing this book?
My favorite part of writing the book, beyond the satisfaction of completing a manuscript, was seeing where the story ended up. I had an outline, but that continually evolved as different characters found their way into the story and grew to be an influential part of that story. I also love the feeling of writing something and then realizing that the character was telling me how the scene should play out.


Can you tell us a little bit about your next books or what you have planned for the future?
I am currently lined up to publish book two of Atom & Go with Three Furies Press next April. I’m excited to continue the tale of Atom and Margo. The second installment is a little less of a straight forward adventure and a little more of a treasure hunt.


How long have you been writing?
I have been writing off and on for most of my life. For a long while it was just a creative outlet. But in the past decade that shifted to be more focused on turning that passion into a career. I self-published Atom & Go: Genesis a couple years ago and then had the fortune to be picked up by Three Furies Press to follow the more traditional publication route. Now, I’m about to finish Atom & Go 2 and I can’t wait to see what the next step holds.


Can you tell us a little bit about the characters in Atom & Go: Genesis?
Atom Ulvan and his two-year-old daughter Margo are the main characters. He was the Left Fist of the emperor until he was betrayed and his entire clan destroyed. Needless to say, he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder, but he has to temper that anger with the need to protect his lone surviving daughter.

The crew of his ship round out the main characters. I won’t get to into who they are at the moment, as the first half of the book is composed of Atom’s building that crew into a tight-knit family. A surrogate family for Margo, if you will.


If you could spend the day with one of the characters from Atom & Go: Genesis who would it be? Please tell us why you chose this particular character, where you would go and what you would do.
This might be the toughest question here. I’m pretty sure there are different days that would bring about a different answer. If I had to step back it would be Margo. She is a composite of my three children and as a father I really miss their two-year-old versions.

If I had a day with Margo, I would probably take her to the zoo. It’s simple, but I remember the innocent joy and amazement at all the animals that my children had.

We might have to cap the day with some ice cream. I mean, toddler and ice cream. It’s just a story that writes itself.



My Review:

Upon the death of his wife Atom Ulvan and his two-year-old daughter Margo board his ship the One Way Ticket hoping to escape his enemies. Atom & Go: Genesis was a fun read while flying around with a man and his two-year-old daughter attached to his back whenever he is faced with fighting his enemy.

We also get the experience of seeing how he found and hired his crew. One of which is a young boy Byron who could fix anything another was Daisy, the best pilot around next is Shi, a gunslinger, hired on as security and then there is Kuzue an AI, the ship's voice.

Atom & Go: Genesis is filled with action and adventure from the first page and never lets up until the last page is turned. I really enjoyed reading about Atom and Margo and following along on all their adventures as there was always somebody chasing or attacking them.

I could picture each and every scene in my head like a movie. Atom & Go: Genesis kind of reminded me of a couple of movies I have seen like Lost in Space and Prospect. Speaking of movies I would like to see Atom & Go: Genesis on the big screen.

I highly recommend Atom & Go: Genesis to all fans of sci-fi. One click your copy today to begin this space adventure.







Author Bio:

Zach is a stay at home dad who has graduated from writing during naptime to using school hours as creation central. He lives in Western NY with his wife, a mermaid, a cheetah, and stormtrooper.
When not playing board games with his children or game group, Zach Winderl can most often be found expanding the tales of Atom & Go or people watching for literary inspiration. He draws inspiration for his character Margo from a mash-up of his three children and while he can’t claim to be a gun-slinger, many of Margo’s experiences have actually happened.
Growing up in a widely traveled family, Zach was able to capture the variety of landscapes our world has to offer and push beyond the boundaries of our own planet. Zach has always loved the freedom afforded by Science-Fiction. Whether an exotic locale or a tongue-in-cheek view on what the world has to offer, he believes science-fiction is the best canvas for painting for an audience.

Connect with Zach Winderl:


0 comments: