Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Review: Feel Me Fall by James Morris @JMorrisWriter

Feel Me Fall
by James Morris

Published: May 2, 2017
Publisher: Inkspot Imaginarium
Genre: Mystery, Thriller, Suspense, Young Adult

Blurb:

Secrets and survival in the Amazon

Emily Duran is the sole survivor of a plane crash that left her and her teenage friends stranded and alone in the jungles of the Amazon. Lost and losing hope, they struggle against the elements, and each other. With their familiar pecking order no longer in place, a new order emerges, filled with power struggles, betrayals, secrets and lies. Emily must explain why she's the last left alive.

But can she carry the burden of the past?

Discover the gripping new adventure novel that explores who we are when no one is watching, and how far we'll go in order to survive.




Buy Link → Amazon


Excerpt:

Someone whispered, “It’s over.” It was Viv.

Of all of us, Molly had a reason to keep going— her unborn baby. She, too, sat amongst us, inert. She looked at us and said, “I used to wear small shoes when I was younger.”

We looked at her, curious about this weird non sequitur.

“I kept thinking,” Molly continued, “if I wore these tiny shoes, my body would stop growing. I would stop getting fat. I would become normal. I wore them all through elementary school and my feet hurt.” She gazed at us, trying to make something clear. “I wasn’t mean. I was in pain.”

Silence descended on us.

Molly added, “I just wanted someone to know. In case… something happened. I never wanted to be Mean Molly. I wanted to be something else.”

After sharing her secret and to make her feel less alone, I said, “I’m jealous of you all. Your money.”

Derek sat next to me and he got the drift. He said, “I’m a virgin.”

Nico looked at me and I realized my mistake in talking at all.

Anxiety filled my body. I tried to telepathically say no, no, no.

He said, “I don’t have any regrets.”

And just like that, I was relieved. Thank God for small favors.

Viv said, “I fought with my mom before I left for the airport. I don’t remember my last words, but they weren’t nice. They weren’t I love you. I don’t even remember what we were arguing about. Something about me having to call her every night.” She reached into her empty pocket and let out a mournful laugh. “I’m so stupid. That’s where I usually keep my cellphone.” She held back her tears. “I wanted to leave her a message. To tell her… I’m sorry.”

I reached out and touched her leg. “You’ll tell her yourself when you get back. When we get back.”

“What if I don’t? What if none of us do?”

“One of us will,” I said. “And we’ll tell her.”

Molly said, “Can someone tell my parents, too?”

I said, “I think that goes for everybody, right?” Everyone silently nodded.

Molly said, “Can we promise that whoever makes it out… they won’t let people forget?”



My Review:


What would you do to survive? What would you do to live? Feel Me Fall is one teenage girls story of how and what she did to survive a plane crash and the Amazon jungle. Feel Me Fall is Emily Duran’s story of how and what she did to survive and to live. It is her story of what transpired in the Amazon jungle during her time there of what she and her friends went through in the jungle.

After the plane crash Emily and some of her schoolmates find themselves alone in the Amazon jungle with no food, water or a fire to keep warm. But luckily Derek has been camping numerous times with his parents knows how to survive off the land or he knows enough to keep them alive. He knows what berries is edible or which mushrooms are poison or non-poisonous and he knows how to find water that is safe to drink even if it is not real clean.

Just like with all teenagers Emily and her friends do argue a lot of who knows what and who is right. Emily tries to do what is best for the whole of the group but sometimes that just may not be possible when you want to survive just as bad as the next person.

The world is made up of good and bad and I sometimes wonder if that is what keeps the world turning. If having a mixture of the two is what keeps it balanced or what keeps all of us balanced. May be we all have a light side and a dark side. When I think about Emily and what she did to survive part of me thinks there is no way I would ever do something like that but then part of me says I don’t know what I would do to survive. I don’t condemn nor do I uphold Emily for some of the things she did or didn’t do. I wasn’t there with her and I can never walk in her shoes.  

Feel Me Falls kept me on the edge of my seat wondering and guessing what was going to happen next to Emily or one of her friends? And that ending was just amazing. Although I kept wondering what happened to all of Emily’s friends the ending didn’t surprise me at all. But I will have to say I never pictured it quite the way it happened. I would like to know how Emily’s life will be now after her journey through the Amazon jungle for her and others.

I would recommend Feel Me Fall to anyone who loves a good mystery. Feel Me Fall is one of those books that will keep you up until the wee hours of the morning wanting to know what is going on. It will stay with you long after you have closed the book. 


About James Morris:

James Morris is a former television writer who now works in digital media. When not writing, you can find him scoping out the latest sushi spot, watching 'House Hunters Renovation', or trying new recipes in the kitchen. He lives with his wife and dog in Los Angeles.



0 comments: