Monday, May 28, 2018

Review: Hell on Earth (Life of the Dead #1) by Tony Urban @tonyurban


Hell on Earth
Life of the Dead #1
by Tony Urban

Published: November 8, 2016
Publisher: Packanack Publishing
Genre: Horror, Zombies, Apocalyptic, Post-Apocalyptic

Blurb:

When civilization ends - When hundreds of millions of the dead return to eat the living - How will the remaining humans survive?

One week ago there were over 300 million people living in America. Today there are less than 5000. After a man-made plague destroys the population cities burn, and the government crumbles when the dead come back to life as flesh-hungry zombies. Wim, a 30-year-old farmer, purposely kept himself cut off from other people, but when the undead arrive at his farm, intent on eating him, he’s forced to venture out into the land around him and fight to save a world on which he long ago turned his back. Survivors from all walks of life - criminals and fry cooks, teenagers and soldiers - battle to survive zombies and each other as mankind races toward extinction.

Book 1 in the epic "Life of Dead" zombie apocalypse series, "Hell on Earth" 




My Review:


The world doesn’t end with a bang or with a whimper. It ends with the flick of the wrist. The world ends on a hot summer day. People are getting sick with a cold or the flu, nothing worse than a summer cold. First they get the flu then they die or do they? The dead won’t stay dead they are turning into zombies.

Hell on Earth starts out with a bang when farmer Wim decides to take a trip into town for some supplies. While he is shopping Wim starts to crave chocolate ice cream and decides to check out the big freezer. Well he finds his ice cream alright but he soon forgets all about his ice cream when he runs into the store owner’s dead family locked in the freezer.

Another one of the characters was a young girl, Ramey, an eighteen-year-old trying to finish high school online. Ramey lives with her drug addicted mother. As the world ends Ramey decides to go look for her father as she has nothing else to do now but maybe kill a few zombies.

In Hell on Earth we meet a whole bunch of other characters like Mitch the son of a senator, Grady a man with a ten-year autistic son, Josiah, Bundy a prisoner on his way to the hospital when the world ended, Aben a traveling man, Juli a mother of twins plus a few more that we get to meet in this introduction to the Life of the Dead world. We get to see the world through quite a few characters. I liked getting to see how the world ended through more than one character and wondering how or if their lives were going to intertwine.

Hell on Earth is a great introduction to the Life of the Dead world. I loved getting to know all the characters and trying to figure out how they were all going to meet and where they would meet or if they would meet.

I loved all the blood and gore. I loved seeing so many zombies and people getting their throat ripped out. While I loved Hell on Earth I did have one little problem with it like I would have loved to see more zombies but I also liked getting the back stories on all the characters as well and learning who each character was before the world ended.

I love me some zombies and I can’t wait to sink my teeth into the next book in the Life of the Dead world Road of the Damned. Road of the Damned is next on my list so check back later for my review of Road of the Damned.

My favorite show on TV is The Walking Dead and I love Stephen King’s The Stand so once I read the summary for Hell on Earth and saw that it had been described as The Walking Dead meets The Stand I knew I had to read it.

I you like zombies and the TV show The Walking Dead then you are going to love Hell on Earth. Pick up your copy to day to begin your journey into the Life of the Dead world.


Connect with Tony:




0 comments: