Friday, February 16, 2018

Review: Rebel Bound by Shauna E. Black @ShaunaEBlack

Rebel Bound
by Shauna E. Black

Published: November 22, 2017
Publisher: Vivienza
Genre: Dystopian, Science Fiction, Young Adult

Blurb:

A city without light … without hope.

Caelin is a survivor. It’s been eleven years since a nuclear disaster drove much of the population underground. Caelin and her young sister Mardy were left topside, where Caelin uses salvage to trade for shelter. Until she gets hurt.

To save her life, a handsome stranger named Jate brings the sisters to rebel turf where plans are being hatched to conquer the Undercity. The rebels preach good life for the masses, and both Caelin and Mardy are hooked on the dream. But as Caelin is drawn deeper into the rebel’s inner circle, passion ignites between Caelin and Jate, and he suddenly seems determined to push her away.

Then she discovers the harsh price of loyalty. The rebel’s dream becomes a nightmare that puts her sister on a dangerous mission to the Undercity. Caelin must determine who to trust before Mardy and the population of the Undercity are wiped out.




My Review:

After the nuclear explosion that decimated the world most people were left topside. There are shelters all over the city where people can stay but they have to scavenge for goods to pay for a place in the shelters. The radiation is so bad no one wants to be out in the AM.

Caelin goes out in the PM to scavenge for goods so she can secure a place in the shelter for her and her little sister Mardy. Caelin has taken care of her sister for a long while now and will not let Mardy go out with her to scavenge.

Caelin is out scavenging one day when she is attacked and injured. She barely made it back to the shelter. Mardy is waiting outside the shelter for her. Mardy is scared and doesn’t know what to do. A guy comes in and scoops Caelin off her feet and takes her to a shelter underground.

The people underground are very good to Caelin and Mardy. They take them in and give them a place to stay and food and no one has to go scavenge to pay for it. Mardy falls in love with the place and the people real quick but Caelin doesn’t trust so easily.

After Caelin’s injuries start to heal she is allowed to explore their new home and get to meet other people. Caelin starts to wonder if she was not right in the beginning in that she didn’t trust most people when they soon learn that there may be someone in their group that may not be the person they believe them to be and could put everyone in danger.

I love dystopian books and when I read the summary for Rebel Bound I knew I wanted to read it and was so glad that Shauna contacted me offering me a complimentary copy. Thank you, Shauna. Once I picked up Rebel Bound and started reading it I couldn’t put it down it had me at the first word. I started reading it when I went to bed thinking I would only read a few minutes the next I thing I knew I was almost halfway through and I thought I have got to go to sleep. So reluctantly I laid it down and picked it up first thing the next morning and finished it. Rebel Bound is a very fast read with lots of action with so many twists and turns that will have you flipping those pages.  

Rebel Bound is the first book by Shauna and I hope it won’t be the last. I love the world that Shauna created for Caelin, Mardy, Jate, Ryanne and all the other characters. I can’t wait to read more about these characters and their world. 



Connect with Shauna E. Black:



0 comments: