Monday, March 27, 2023

Review: The Golden Cage by Kate L. Mary @kmary0622

The Golden Cage: A Dystopian Novel

by Kate L. Mary

Published: March 7, 2023

Publisher: Twisted Press, LLC

Genre: Science Fiction, Dystopian, Post Apocalyptic


Blurb:


From an award-winning author and master of world building...

Centuries after the Cutoff, the secluded island of Sansara has perfected the roles of women. All girls attend the Institute where they are ranked, judged, trained, and their paths are chosen for them.

Elora’s destiny is to rise to the top. Rose wants to make her family proud. Odette dreams of finding happiness. But in a society that eats women alive one hope at a time, even dreams can turn out to be bitter fruit.

All are trapped in a system that values their appearances, not who they are. Will they be crushed by the machine that oppresses them, or will they dare to break free and live on their own terms?

Perfect for fans of The Handmaid's Tale, The Testaments, Station Eleven, The Power, and Vox, this heartbreaking tale of friendship, love and bravery will keep you turning pages!

Trigger Warning: This book deals with the subject of rape and domestic abuse and may be disturbing to some readers.


Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ BookBub

 

My Review:

The Golden Cage is one of the most unique books I think I have ever read. It is definitely in a class all by itself. The world-building is superb, to say the least. When I started reading The Golden Cage I had an idea of what I thought it would be but let me tell you I was so wrong. What I found between the pages was so different than I had imagined but what I did find was so much better than I could ever have anticipated.

The Golden Cage is set in a world where women are ranked by their beauty. Women are bread only for the entertainment of others. They are trained from birth to be the proper lady. Their whole lives are surrounded by their beauty.

At the age of six, they are sent to school to train in their own class to be the perfect woman. They are pressured by society to be the best in everything they do but they must always look their best if they want to be the best.

They are separated by tiers.

Tier one women work on their looks keeping themselves beautiful for the world.

Tier two women keep their homes and husbands happy.

Tier three women actually do all the work. They keep the homes clean. They are the maids, the servants, and the teachers. Their lives are dedicated to making sure tier one women have nothing to do but entertain the world while tier two women have babies, make their husbands happy, and make sure tier three woman do their jobs.

I love dystopian novels I can’t seem to get enough of them and their worlds. Kate L. Mary never disappoints in that department. I am always on the lookout for new releases by her. But seriously no matter what genre she writes I am drawn in from the first page. Yeah, the moment I turn to that first page and start reading I am lost.

I have loved every book by Kate that I have read and The Golden Cage is no exception. I am a big fan of Kate’s and would highly recommend any of her books. This time around though I highly recommend that you grab a copy of The Golden Cage for something a little different!  



Connect with Kate L. Mary:

0 comments: