Monday, February 27, 2012

Book of Shadows (Wicca #1) By: Cate Tiernan

Book of Shadows (Wicca, #1)Book of Shadows by Cate Tiernan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Morgan lives in Widow’s Vale and is a junior in high school. She has never had a boyfriend or kiss from a boy. Then this new guy a senior transfers to her school. Cal is very good looking in the since where all the girls would stare at him with there mouths hanging open. Everyone liked him except the boyfriends of the girls who would gawk at him. Cal makes friends with everyone not just a certain group of people. Cal would start conversations with Morgan, she couldn’t figure this out other good looking guys didn’t talk to her.

Morgan was falling in love with Cal but so was her best friend Bree. Bree would date guys for a couple of months and then drop them. When Bree told Morgan that she was in love with Cal, Morgan being the person she was did not tell Bree that she also loved him. She held her pain inside of herself to keep from hurting her best friend.

Cal invites a lot of their friends to a party and at this party tells them he is Wiccan. He ask them to join him in a circle to celebrate one of the Wiccan sabbats, Mabon. Some of the students feel uncomfortable so they leave. Morgan discovers that she is very good at performing spells and develops an interest in Wicca. She buys books on Wicca but when her parents find the books they prohibit her from reading them or keeping them in the house. She takes them to Bree’s house to keep and read there.

They hold another to circle and form a coven naming it Cirrus. Morgan finds out that she is a blood witch. Cal kisses Morgan and Bree sees them. Bree is not as nice as Morgan now all she wants to do is fight back because she is hurt. Bree takes Morgans books on Wicca back to her house and leaves them on the front porch for her mother to find. Morgans mother, Mary Grace goes berserk and Morgan finds out that she is adopted.

Book of Shadows is a very good story, that will teach you a lot about Wicca. It has a lot of grammatical errors that doesn’t take away from the story itself though. Cate Tiernan is a very good writer, yea she has need of an editor I do agree. Sorry Cate. But saying all that I still recommend reading Book of Shadows if you like reading about witches or just want to know a little more about Wicca.



View all my reviews

3 comments:

Melissas Eclectic Bookshelf said...

Grammatical error tend to really annoy me...I hope she gets and editor so her work can be better appreciated!

♥Melissa

The Avid Reader said...

Yea especially when you read a sentence and your like "WTF" and you have to try and figure out what the writer was trying to say. When you change it to something you think makes since may not be what the author intended it to be.

Anonymous said...

Nancy I too enjoyed this series. I even had a visit from Cate on my Blog. I am a grown woman but her visit was such a rush for me. It made me realize they do visit to see what we say.. I am glad you are reading the series so I can see what others think. The books were hard to come by.. I read them before I fell in-love with ebooks. I believe I comment in each post where I got the book and such. But the first publication had UGLY covers. The second publication's were better. But I picked it up in the third publication of Omnibus. I picked up the first Omnibus at Walmart but the others were a mix of 1st & 2nd pubs. :D cheers