Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Review: Slashtag by Jon Cohn @JonCohnAuthor

Slashtag

by Jon Cohn

Published: April 25, 2023

Publisher: Deadbolt Books

Genre: Horror


Blurb:


Welcome to Slashtag, the most immersive horror reality competition series in history! Tag along as seven of America's favorite celebrities step into the infamous Propitius Hotel, home to one of the most prolific serial killers in history - Arthur Wilson.

Arthur built and operated the Propitius Hotel from 1905 until 1928 when dozens of bodies were found in his hotel, along with countless hidden torture rooms throughout the hotel. Arthur disappeared, seemingly never to be caught. He then returned - nearly 40 years later - under the guise of a priest leading a congregation of 100 people back to his hotel, where he once again committed mass murder.

Enter Tawny Howlett - a top-tier lifestyle influencer who is in the midst of the crappiest week of her life. Her brand new health drink turned out to be tainted, and now thousands of her followers want nothing more than to see her social media empire crumble. In order to rehabilitate her image, she's agreed to take part in "Slashtag: The Ultimate Horror Experience".

At first it's all fun and games, until the team of seven celebs discover that the ghost is very real, and out for blood. In order to survive the three-day live-streamed event, Tawny and her fellow contestants must band together to try and send the spirit of Arthur Wilson straight to hell.


"I suddenly wish that I were just crazy. A hallucination would mean my brain is broken, which is something I’ve spent my entire adult life attempting to accept. If we’re both seeing this, it means the world is broken in a way my brain is not prepared to confront."


While Tawny has her hands full trying to survive a weekend at the Propitius Hotel, it's up to her younger sister April to work from the outside to try and find a way to save her sister, and uncover the dark truth behind the TV network that continues to air the deaths of some of America's top talent.

Together these seven doomed souls must solve the puzzles hidden within the hotel in order to vanquish the spirit of Arthur Wilson.


"This novel was exceptional. It wasn't just a traditional haunted house, and it wasn't just a slasher novel. There is an incredible depth to it, a mystery, and a great deal of unraveled ends that all came together in an incredible crescendo at the end."

- L. Smith


"This is the second book that I have read by Jon Cohn, and I was delighted to see that this one was darker, a little more sinister, and felt like a real life horror reality show on the page."

- J. Rush


From best-selling author Jon Cohn, comes the tale of a social media influencer's attempt to salvage what's left of her dwindling empire, save her sister, and survive the unimaginable in Slashtag, a gripping horror novel with IRL vibes and unexpected twists and turns in the age of social media.

Jon Cohn's best-selling debut novel, "The Island Mother" won Publisher's Weekly's Booklife Prize for Best Indie Horror Novel of 2022.


Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ BookBub


My Review:

You know if I could I do believe I would give Slashtag a higher rating than five as it surely deserves more. Slashtag is one of the best books I have ever read. It kept me on my toes hanging on every word. Once I picked up Slashtag I was drawn deep into its world as the world around me disappeared. I read Slashtag in one day as I couldn’t stop reading it once I started. I loved the gory gruesomeness of it.

Slashtag makes me think about TV shows like Big Brother, Reality Z, Dead Set, Saw, and the escape room movies. I have watched all of these shows and loved them all. Slashtag definitely falls into my favorite genre, horror. I love that it has the feeling of all these TV shows mixed into one. I do believe that Slashtag would be a number-one hit on the big screen.

Seven people enter a haunted hotel believing that nothing they see is real but they soon figure out that it is all too real indeed. Then one by one they are all being killed off. What is going on? Is it real or not? The characters will tell you that it is definitely real as they watch their friends dying right before their eyes.

These seven people were led to believe that they were going to be on a horror reality TV show. Entering the hotel is easy but to get out they must solve puzzles if they want to get out. Their most well-kept secrets are coming to life right before their eyes. At first, they don’t believe that anything they are seeing is real and that it is all made up. They think that their minds are playing tricks on them. But they soon realize how wrong they are.

I highly recommend Slashtag to all horror fans. If you are into gruesome and gory horror shows then you are going to love Slashtag. Grab your copy of Slashtag today!  


Connect with John Cohn

Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter 

Instagram ~ Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ BookBub

 

0 comments: