Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Review: The Reader by M.K. Harkins @mk_harkins


The Reader
by M.K. Harkins
Publication Date: August 17, 2016
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal, Young Adult, Science Fiction


Blurb:

Hunted, shot, and without her memory, eighteen-year-old Ann Baker wakes in shallow water on a deserted Pacific Northwest island. She is soon approached by two young men claiming to be her friends. Something isn't right, but when gunshots sound, Ann is left with little choice but to allow Devon and Archer to help her escape. Soon she finds herself in their North Bend mountain compound, where the higher evolved humans claim to be mind-readers. While Ann heals, she realizes they believe her to be one of the last and most powerful of all - The Lost One.

She's welcomed by most with opened arms, but not everyone is happy about her arrival. A jealous adversary has plans for Ann, which spirals the entire Reader community into chaos.

As lies, murder, and betrayal threaten to rip apart the once harmonious mountain dwellers, Ann is thrust into making a decision that could save or devastate not only The Readers, but all of mankind. But there's just one glitch: by doing so it may require her to make the ultimate sacrifice.


Buy Link:



Excerpt:

“That’s not what I’m talking about and you know it. She can’t go out in public looking like that.”

A sudden coldness hit my core. “Like what?” I asked and shot my iciest stare at him.

“Things are…things are showing,” he said as his hand swept up and down.

“Yes, she has legs. Get over it.” Lucy hooked her arm in mine. “Now, if you’ll excuse us, we have a party to get to.”


Author Interview:

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I know the exact date – February 3rd, 2013.  I ran out of reading material on my Kindle. I stared at the wall, for what seemed like hours. It was then that I had a light bulb moment.  I thought “Well, if I can’t find anything to read, I’ll just write something!”  The “something” became my first novel, Intentional.

Do you have a routine that you use to get into the right frame of mind to write?

Yes and no.  I need uninterrupted time (I’m not one of those authors who can write for an hour per day) Give me four hours, and I’m good to go.  I do my best writing in the parking lot waiting for my daughter to finish her basketball practice.

Where did you get the idea or inspiration for The Reader?

I have absolutely no idea!  When I sat down to write it, the words, plot, dialogue literally flew from my fingers to the keyboard.

What books have most influenced your life?

The first book I remember reading was Exodus. I was in the 7th grade and I couldn’t put it down. Although I can’t remember all the details, I’m sure it has made me more compassionate.

The next book would have to be Slammed by Colleen Hoover.  I know these two books are polar opposites, but nonetheless they both left their mark.  With Slammed, I was introduced to a simple, yet complex love story. It brought out all my dormant feelings of first love. My heart raced, my palms became sweaty – all of those feelings came back in a rush.  If it were not for Colleen Hoover, and her wonderful writing, I would not have written my first book.  That’s a pretty big influence!

What do you like to do when you are not writing?

When I’m not writing, I like to think about writing.  When my fingers are not on my keyboard, my brain is batting around dialogue.  I think it’s called “Voices in my Head” but for writers, it means creativity, not craziness (I think!)

Any future writing news you would like to share?

Yes!  I am currently working on Famous by Default (another YA book).  Also, if I get enough requests, I’ll continue with The Reader Series J  (So email me!)    


My Review:

A young woman wakes up on a beach, a lone, shot and with no memory of being shot or who shot her or why. She doesn’t even know who she is or where she came from. But she is lucky in that she is rescued by two young men whom take her back with them to their home deep in the mountains.

She soon learns that the people at the compound where Devon and Archer have taken her know who and what she is. Little by little she finds out her name where she is from and why she is being hunted.

Her name is Ann and she soon figures out that something or someone in the compound is just not quite right if only she could put her finger on it. Someone will soon betray her. Even though she can’t remember anything she still has a soft, kind heart and will do whatever it takes to keep the people she loves and cares for safe.

The Reader was a fast and enjoyable read it grabbed me right from the first page and never let go right up until the end. I loved all the characters and the world that they lived in. Ann was one tough cookie who could fight as well or better than any man. I would love to read more about Ann, Devon, Lucy and Archer and of their lives now after everything they have been through.

There are a few characters that I would like to hear their side of the story and why they did the things they did. I would also like to know more about Ann, Devon, Lucy and Archer’s lives before. If you have not read The Reader then I would like to suggest that you do as well that is if you like a story filled with suspense, intrigue and lots of twist and turns then you will love The Reader I know I did.



Author Bio:



MK has always been a voracious reader. After hitting a dry spell of reading material, she decided to write the kind of book she'd like to read. This resulted in the creation of her debut novel, Intentional. (Award for Best Sweet Romance - eFestival of Words- August 2014)

Unintentional, the second book in the series, is based on the life of one of the characters in Intentional (Cade - an engineer/rock star). Unintentional was written as a stand-alone book.

Breaking Braydon, another stand-alone book, is now available on Amazon. 

Taking Tiffany (A spin-off) is available now.

The Reader (A paranormal Romance) will release August 17th, 2016

When she's not writing novels, she likes to spend her free time traveling the world, splashing in mud puddles (She lives in Seattle, what can she say?), watching movies and reading (!)
Website ~ Email ~ BookBub 



0 comments: