Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Review: Jigglyspot and the Zero Intellect by P.D. Alleva @PdallevaAuthor

Jigglyspot and the Zero Intellect

by P.D. Alleva

Published: October 31, 2023

Publisher: Chamber Door Publishing, LLC

Genre: Horror, Thriller, Horror Fantasy, Paranormal Horror, Supernatural Horror, Occult Horror, Suspense, and Speculative Fiction


Blurb:


Carnivals, Cannibals, and Clowns. Oh My!


Wanna go for a ride?


Meet Jigglyspot, a five-foot tall half human half warlock carnival clown who spends his free time moonlighting as a drug dealing pimp and lackey for demonic entities who prey on the weak and vulnerable, casting their dark shadow across humanity through manipulation, and fear.

Jigglyspot was selected to serve as the event coordinator for 2019’s Summer Solstice Celebration at the prestigious Cannibal CafĂ©. A celebration that brings together both demon and human alike. But with less than two weeks before the celebration, Jigglyspot’s got so much to do and little time to do it. And the feds are hot on his tail. Between securing new recruits for demonic possession, choosing fresh bodies to slice and dice for dinner, and the fact that his girlfriend, Kera, is eating up most of his time, Jiggly’s at his wit’s end.

Hopefully, those demons appreciate all his sacrifices. Hopefully, but unlikely. Those demons can be hell to deal with. Jigglyspot knows; he’s been dealing with them for decades.

Will he rise above, or will tragedy and mayhem lead to dire discoveries poisoned with manipulation and betrayal that will ultimately destroy all Jigglyspot holds dear?

Discover Jigglyspot and his cast of clowns, killers, demons, and wretched fiends, in a novel like you’ve never experienced. Horror, mayhem, thrills, chills, fantasy, and spoils are waiting for your reading eyes with an escape into the underworld of mind control and human slavery.


Warning: This book contains scenes with profound psychological suffering, and graphically violent acts, behaviors, thoughts, deeds, and ridicule. No one has been spared, and no label is safe. Although we are proud to report, no animals were harmed during the writing of this novel, so that’s a good thing. Everyone else is fair game. After all, if you were a demon, what would you think of humanity?

Fans of Grady Hendrix, Catriona Ward, Clive Barker, and Stephen King will be captivated by this edge of your seat, eye-popping, wtf horror novel that is certain to be your next addictive read. As they say, you don’t just read Jigglyspot… You DEVOUR Jigglyspot!


Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ BookBub




My Review:

WOW! I don’t even know where to begin with this one. I will start by saying that Jigglyspot and the Zero Intellect is unlike anything I have ever read but on the other hand it is a lot like other books I have read. Jigglyspot and the Zero Intellect is the kind of story I like most of all. I can’t seem to ever get enough of these kinds of stories.

Jigglyspot and the Zero Intellect is a long book but it sure did fly by. The chapters are short making it seem more like a short read. It is told from multiple points of view. The mystery, suspense, and all the goriness kept me on the edge of my seat as I devoured each and every word. I would very much love to see Jigglyspot and the Zero Intellect on the big screen as I love watching movies and TV shows like this.

Jigglyspot and the Zero Intellect kept reminding me of the clown in Stephen King’s It and of the clown on the new TV show Twisted Metal. The twisted things that Jigglyspot got up to were so very gory indeed. My favorite, in my opinion, the gorier the better.

I would like to give a fair warning that Jigglyspot and the Zero Intellect is probably not for everyone. But if you like gory horror then grab a copy of Jigglyspot and the Zero Intellect today for a gory ride!







Share your reading list for the year- what are your must-have's?

I love this topic because I get to be a reader again, which has always been my first love. I have a profound respect for the written word and have always indulged that respect by refusing to limit myself to any one specific genre. I’ve had periods in life where I would read nothing but classic literature, or romance novels, philosophy, poetry, thrillers, scifi, fantasy, or periodicals and magazines like Weird Tales. Give me a book and I’m a happy man. However, I always come back to my beloved horror genre and as you can see that’s been my genre of choice for the year. Actually the past few years to tell the truth. Here’s the thing, if I’m writing horror I’m reading horror. When I write scifi I read scifi. There’s no ifs, ands, or buts about it. The reason behind this choice has to do with writing style. If I’m reading a book outside the genre or subgenre I’m writing in the writing style I’m reading from tends to bleed over into my book. So, I keep the reading similar to the writing.


Presently my current reading list includes two books. Beta by Sammy Scott, and Hollow by Mike Salt. Both are horror novels and so far so good on both of them. I enjoy Sammy’s clean and poetic prose and Mike’s gritty and suspenseful narrative. Both are recently published books and I do recommend both of these authors as they are truly talented and dedicated to their crafts.


Now for this years reading list, which is a bit short for the year but that’s only because I’ve been busy getting my own novel ready for the Halloween release day and have had to spend a lot of time with Jigglyspot and the Zero Intellect this year. I think I’ve read the book probably ten times this year alone and its one big novel, and has taken up a lot of time, although the time spent has been well worth it. I do love my Jigglyspot. There are also a handful of books that received the classic DNF that are not on the list. Life’s too short to discuss books you didn’t like and I don’t review books that I would give a 2 star or below rating to. I’m sorry but as an author I just can’t bring myself to do such a thing. I’d rather just pass on by and wish the author luck.


Below is a list of the book’s I’ve read this year and in no particular order, however, I will pluck out a few that I thought were absolutely stellar in their presentation, writing style, plot intrigue, and character development below. Each book is designated as either: Just okay, That was really good, and Frigin Awesome.


Gothic by Phillip Fracassi (Frigin Awesome)

In the Tall Trees by Angel Van Atta (Frigin Awesome)

Just Like Mother by Anne Heltzel (Just okay)

Mary: An Awakening of Terror by Nat Cassidy (Just okay)

What Good Girls Do by Jonathan Butcher (Frigin Awesome)

The Siren and the Specter by Jonathan Janz (That was really good)

Playground by Aron Beauregard (Frigin Awesome)

Forsaken by Andrew Van Wey (Frigin Awesome)

The Mirror by Hash Black (Just okay)

Hidden Pictures by Jason Rekulak (That was really good)

Only Psychos by Daniel Volpe (That was really good)

The Sleep Experiment by Jeremy Bates (That was really good)

The Thicket by Noelle Ihli (That was really good)

Head Like a Hole by Andrew Van Wey (Frigin Awesome)

Things Have Gotten Worse Since We Last Spoke by Eric LaRocca (Just okay)

The Last House on Needless Street by Catriona Ward (Just okay)

Rock Paper Scissors by Alice Feeney (Just okay)

How to Sell a Haunted House by Grady Hendrix (Just okay)

Ghostwritten by Ronald Malfi (Just okay)



There are three books that really stood out from the crowd: Gothic by Philip Fracassi, and two by Andrew Van Wey, Forsaken, and Head Like a Hole. Both books by Mr. Van Wey are completely different in writing style (Head Like a Hole is a thriller and Forsaken is a slow burn) but both hit he mark in their methods of storytelling, character development and your basic creepy factor. And then there’s Gothic, which to me was probably the best book I read this year although Head Like a Hole would be a very close second. Gothic has that classic literary vibe with a modern day storytelling and is more psychological horror than extreme. If you’re going to start reading the books on my list I suggest starting with Head Like a Hole, then Gothic, followed by Forsaken. I’m sure you’ll be satisfied.


Either way, keep reading.


Happy Halloween,


PD Alleva





Author Bio

I write books, that’s what I do. Horror, scifi, thrillers, fantasy, and sometimes a literary gem. Good ones, crazy ones, fun books, entertaining books, terrifying books that are absolutely insane, books with depth and thrills, and stories that rip out the heart of humanity and tosses it on a slab to be feasted on. Yeah, that’s what I do, I write books. Any questions?

My current projects include: the Pulp Fiction, Sci-Fi/Fantasy series, The Dark Veil: The Rose Vol. III; the horror thriller novella series, Girl on a Mission; the supernatural thriller series, The Hypnotist; and a follow up to Jigglyspot and the Zero Intellect, tentatively titled The Sleepy Hollow Incident.

Your Free book is waiting. Join the PD newsletter to stay up to date on all things PD, including, giveaways, sales, new books, and just a lot of awesome. Plus, you’ll receive a free digital copy of Twisted Tales of Deceit. Join the newsletter at https://pdalleva.com


Connect with P.D. Alleva:

Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter ~ TikTok

Instagram ~ Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ BookBub




 

0 comments: