Monday, November 15, 2021

Review: The Photograph by Lynette Luttrell @LLuttrellauthor

The Photograph

A Detective India Hargreaves Mystery

by L. E. Luttrell

Published: November 1, 2021

Publisher: Beaten Track Publishing

Genre: Crime, Mystery, Thriller, Suspense, Police Procedural


Blurb:


In a quiet Sydney suburb, soon-to-be-married Sonny Day sets off on his bike to catch the train to work. He never makes it to the station. After his fiancée Chrys reports him missing, DI India Hargreaves launches a low-key investigation.

Weeks later, a man’s body is found, mutilated and buried, on a nearby building site, but it’s not Sonny, and with no solid leads, both investigations stall…until a letter arrives from Sonny, claiming he’s met someone else.

Chrys insists Sonny wrote it under duress. She convinces India to investigate further, beginning with the photograph that came with the letter and ending in Scotland and the discovery of more mysterious deaths. But two questions remain unanswered.

Whose body was buried on the building site? And where is Sonny Day?


Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ BookBub


My Review:

Chrystal Waters and Sonny Day both leave for work about the same time. Chrys returns home that afternoon expecting Sonny to be there as it is his turn to cook. But he doesn’t come home that night nor the next night. The next day Chrys calls his office and learns that he never showed up the day before. No one has heard from him.

Chrys knows that Sonny would never miss work especially failing to call in. Sonny and Chrys are going to be married in a week. The wedding is all planned and set. The honeymoon was booked and paid for. He left his driver's license and passport at home.

So where could he be? Did he run off? Was he kidnapped? Is he laying in a ditch on the side of the road somewhere? Is he even still alive? Was he murdered? If so why would anyone want to kill him? What would their motive be for wanting Sonny Dead? Is the Sonny Day that Chrys knows the true Sonny Day? Could he have been pretending all this time? If so why would he do that?

The police search for Sonny on his route to the train station that day but that is where their investigation ends. But not Chrys she will not stop looking for Sonny as she doesn’t believe he is dead or that he ran off.

Chrys receives a letter and a photograph from Sonny. Chrys convinces DI India Hargreaves that what Sonny wrote in the letter is not true that he must have been forced to write it. There is something about the photo itself too that just doesn’t sit well with Chrys. Something is off about the picture but what exactly she is not sure of at the moment.

The Photograph was way better than I thought it would be. It drew me in from the first and held on till the end. It pulled me in deeper and deeper with each turn of the page with all its secrets, revealing them slowly, building up to that climactic ending.

There were twists after twists, oh man there were some big ones too. I literally could not turn those pages fast enough as each clue was revealed.

And just when I thought I would have it all figured out bam another twist had slammed me in the face that would throw me for a loop and leave me hanging. But not for long as I was right back trying to figure out where or what happened to Sonny.

When I finally reached the end and it all came tumbling out I was shocked as I promise you I never saw it coming. I never expected what happened in a million years. Now I am wondering what DI India Hargreaves has waiting for us in the future. I am anxious to find out.

Would I recommend The Photograph? Well, of course, I would. I highly suggest that you one-click your copy of The Photograph right now!


Connect with L. E. Luttrell:

Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ BookBub

 

0 comments: