Friday, January 22, 2021

Author Interview: The Very Real World of Emily Adams by Samantha J. Rose

The Very Real World of Emily Adams

by Samantha J. Rose

Published: June 9, 2020

Genre: Science Fiction, Urban Fantasy

Blurb:

“Be a rebel. In a world of darkness, become light.”

Emily Adams has lost everything. Injured from a fight with her now officially-ex-boyfriend, she’s fled to an unfamiliar city with nothing but the change in her pocket and a broken relationship with her father. As hope slips away, she seeks to put a permanent end to her pain…

Until an enchanting encounter with a magic man in a dress changes everything.

Given a new chance at life, Emily embarks on a journey with her new BFF, a mysterious clairvoyant, and a band of musicians to stop the monsters that threaten the world. And she may uncover something even more impossible-if she can let go of the past and believe in herself enough to embrace it.

Amazon ~ Goodreads


Interview with Samantha Rose

What made you want to become a writer?

I wanted to be a writer before I knew how to write. I scribbled my first novel in permanent marker on my sister’s vanity chair when I was three-years-old. It’s still there to this day. I loved stories and saw them in everything. Mountains were giant, sleeping dinosaurs. My swing set was a fortress and the trees were friendly neighbors who knew the right way through the forest—and they all were part of a story. This was something that was reawakened in me as an adult after seeing the darker side of life. I saw stories as a way to give a voice to things that are impossible to express, and as a way to shine a light of hope in the dark prisons of the soul, illuminating the pathways out.


What inspired you to write The Very Real World of Emily Adams?

Oh, so much. I have severe posttraumatic stress disorder and when my emotions would become overwhelming, I would shut down and tell myself stories to make myself feel better. As I started to heal and get better, I decided that I needed to bring these characters to life. They had helped me so much, they deserved the opportunity to build summer homes in other people’s minds. I also saw it as an opportunity to tell my own story in a really twisted way, and let people who are suffering know that they’re not alone. I also wanted to share the hope I’ve gained through my personal experiences.


You know I think we all have a favorite author. Who is your favorite author and why?

Stephen King. He has been a major inspiration to me. Did you know that he threw his bare-bone manuscript for Carrie in the garbage? I can’t even bear to imagine what would’ve happened if his wife hadn’t fished it out and told him, “You’ve got something here,” because Carrie later became his very first novel. So, not only do I admire his writing—and how he writes whatever he wants—and not only did his novel, The Green Mile, inspire my own work, but his example pushed me to never give up. You just never know how things might turn out. While I was writing The Very Real World of Emily Adams, whenever I’d be struggling with self-doubt or inspiration, I’d find an interview with Stephen King on YouTube and watch it. It always made me feel better.


Can you tell us a little bit about your next books or what you have planned for the future?

I’m currently working on my second book, What Actually Happened to Isaac Moore. It’s a bit of a tragicomedy that tells the story of a sailor believed to have died at sea, but in reality, was kidnapped by a fairy-creature who dragged him to an interdimensional portal that leads to other worlds. It’s meant to be a stand-alone novel, but it takes place in the same universe as The Very Real World of Emily Adams and features four familiar faces, and occurs earlier in the timeline.


What did you enjoy most about writing this book?

My most favorite thing about writing The Very Real World of Emily Adams was seeing these characters, that I love so much, come to life on the page. I loved being able to tell their stories and watch them take on a life of their own after they’d spent so much time existing only in my mind. It has been one of the most difficult and rewarding things that I have ever done.  


Author Bio:

Samantha J Rose is a forever-student at Utah State University, who will one day have her Masters Degree in Psychology. She wrote her first novel in permanent marker on her sister's vanity chair when she was three-years-old. It wasn't well received.

She currently resides in the mountains, in a little house full of toys, where she's enjoying her happily ever after with her Prince Charming and three adorable, little bears.

Website


 

0 comments: