Thursday, January 14, 2021

Ten Favorite Books: The Very Real World of Emily Adams by Samantha J. Rose

The Very Real World of Emily Adams

by Samantha J. Rose

Published: June 9, 2020

Genre: Science Fiction, Urban Fantasy

Blurb:

“Be a rebel. In a world of darkness, become light.”

Emily Adams has lost everything. Injured from a fight with her now officially-ex-boyfriend, she’s fled to an unfamiliar city with nothing but the change in her pocket and a broken relationship with her father. As hope slips away, she seeks to put a permanent end to her pain…

Until an enchanting encounter with a magic man in a dress changes everything.

Given a new chance at life, Emily embarks on a journey with her new BFF, a mysterious clairvoyant, and a band of musicians to stop the monsters that threaten the world. And she may uncover something even more impossible-if she can let go of the past and believe in herself enough to embrace it.

Amazon ~ Goodreads


10 Favorite Books

The Green Mile by Stephen King – I first read this book in high school, and then again years later. It has lingered in my subconscious mind ever since and inspired characters in my novel, The Very Real World of Emily Adams.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams – I love the humor and imagination of Douglas Adams. I laughed till I cried, and was totally inspired by how he writes whatever he wants. My novel, The Very Real World of Emily Adams (her name being a nod to Douglas Adams and The Addams Family), would not be what it is now if I’d never read this book. Ugh, I can’t even bear the thought of what it would be like without it! I needed this book!

Publishing 101 by Jane Friedman – I would not be published without this book. If you want to be a writer, this book is essential for your library.

Queen Immortal by Kaci Morgan – A brilliant, romantic fantasy about an immortal queen and her hunt to find the only other person who knows how to kill her. This was written by my amazing, talented friend, whose help was absolutely essential to me getting published. She’s awesome!

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty – Man, this gal knows how to write! Her characters are so complex and real, they could be living down the street from me. I absolutely admire her writing. Her novel, What Alice Forgot, is another one of my all-time favorites.

The Body by Stephen King – Speaking of characters that feel like people you know… this book is a treasure. I cried multiple times. I skipped the first short-story-within-the-story and didn’t feel like missed anything, but the rest of the book more than made up for it. It’s one of my most favorite things I’ve ever read.

Pretty Much Any Goosebumps Book by R.L. Stine – When I was a kid, I grew more and more determined to write books as I read R.L. Stine. This continued later in life with the Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling.

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Bachman – Such a sweet, humorous yet profound story about the life of a curmudgeon and the people that ultimately save him. It has some wonderful magic about it that changes your heart. It made me cry.

The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley – I absolutely adored this tragic, beautiful book. It also has heart-changing magic. It’s one of my most favorite things in the world and it needs to be read by more people.

The Book of Mormon translated by Joseph Smith Jr. – Speaking of heart-changing magic, this book changed my life!


Author Bio:

Samantha J Rose is a forever-student at Utah State University, who will one day have her Masters Degree in Psychology. She wrote her first novel in permanent marker on her sister's vanity chair when she was three-years-old. It wasn't well received.

She currently resides in the mountains, in a little house full of toys, where she's enjoying her happily ever after with her Prince Charming and three adorable, little bears.

Website


 

0 comments: