Friday, December 17, 2021

Review: U-Day (Memory Full #1) by Rapha Ram @RamRapha

U-Day

Memory Full #1

by Rapha Ram

Published: December 17, 2021

Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian, Science Fiction


Blurb:


Would you trust your developing years to a mysterious organization expecting a successful life in return?


In the midst of the 2040s, Livvy Blunt, a girl with an unquiet mind, lives in confinement. Her home is a monastery, a place of silence and meditation created to keep her mind free from the frivolous matters of the modern world.

The Monastery is a corporation with a clear goal: transform young Empty-heads into skilled Silver-hairs. The means to do that are controversial: uploads of skills to the brain. The more youngsters manage to keep their minds empty of gossip and avoid overthinking life, the more skills can be transferred.

Livvy has a hard time trying to keep her mind idle, but her sacrifice should pay off by the promise of a successful future as a Silver-hair, a professional any recruiter would fight to hire. But when time comes for her to choose her set of skills, she is denied every professional and fun skill she ever longed for.

People say she’s lucky for being selected to the Monasterial Upload Program, but she's not so sure.


Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ BookBub


My Review:

You know when I read the summary for U-Day I knew I had to read it. What drew me in was this one paragraph in the summary:


The Monastery is a corporation with a clear goal: transform young Empty-heads into skilled Silver-hairs. The means to do that are controversial: uploads of skills to the brain. The more youngsters manage to keep their minds empty of gossip and avoid overthinking life, the more skills can be transferred”.


The part that got me the most was “uploads of skills to the brain”. I had to know what all this entailed. What did it mean exactly? Upload? How were they going to accomplish this task? How do you upload info to the brain?

Then there was “the more skills can be transferred”. And what about this piece? What does it mean? How much can be transferred? It reminded me of a computer’s hard drive. The bigger the hard drive the more that can be uploaded or downloaded.

When I started reading U-Day I thought I knew what to expect but I was wrong, it was nothing like I expected in the least. It was so much more than I ever expected.

I have compared our brain to a hard drive before. With a hard drive if it gets full you can reformat it or restore it either way you are writing over the information that was there before. But with your brain, you can’t restore it or reformat it.

I have often wondered that maybe our brains could only hold so much info and then it just drops off or out of our brain the older we get causing us to forget more. I have also thought that maybe our brains probably only held so much so it would have to dump some info that we didn’t use to make room for more.

I really connected with U-Day on so many different levels I think. It was exhilarating and helped to open my mind even more hopefully allowing for more info to be downloaded.

U-Day is definitely an intriguing and thought-provoking read. Oh man, once I picked it up and read that first page I was lost I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. I can’t find the words to tell you just how much I really liked U-Day.

I can’t wait to read more from this amazing world. I am anxiously awaiting the next book, Overload in the Memory Full series. Overload? Oh my, what does that entail? Overload is expected to be released on August 19, 2022. That is a long time. Yeah, well my mind is going to overload way before then just waiting for it. I need it now, please.

U-Day is one book I would definitely recommend to all science fiction and dystopian fans. One-click your copy of U-Day today for an exciting adventure! 


Connect with Rapha Ram:

Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ BookBub

Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Instagram

0 comments: