Monday, January 11, 2021

Review: New World (Broken World #5) by Kate L. Mary @kmary0622

New World

Broken World #5

by Kate L. Mary

Published: November 30, 2015

Genre: Science Fiction, Apocalyptic, Post-apocalyptic, Zombies, Horror

Blurb:

New World, book five in the Broken World series, continues following a group of survivors after a super-virus has decimated the human race and the dead have come back to claim it as their own...

After weeks on the road and devastating losses, the survivors have finally found safety. But as winter falls on Colorado, it brings with it both new challenges, and new hope.

Axl and Vivian

With supplies running low and animals scarce, not even the freezing zombies do much to make the future look bright for Axl’s group, and as the snow grows deeper, Vivian’s concern for Hadley and Jon only becomes more intense. Each day seems to bring more challenges, and every week that goes by with no sign of their friends makes it more difficult for the group to believe life can ever return to normal.

Jon and Ginny

Hope Springs is an opportunity to start over for Ginny and Jon. Even though their worries for their lost friends are never completely gone, the couple throws themselves into building a new world for their baby. But as Jon works to clean out the city, Ginny struggles to find herself and embrace the second chance she’s been given, and with the ever-present threat of both man and the undead surrounding them, optimism is a difficult thing to hold onto.

Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ BookBub


My Review:

Jon and Hadley/Ginny have found a home in a community with over 200 people. Jon is doing his best to take care of Ginny and her baby. Jon plans on raising her baby as if it is his own even if it may not be his. Everyone in Hope Springs is doing their best to look after Ginny and her baby as well as her baby gives them hope for a better world.

Jon and the people at Hope Spring spend their days cleaning out the town from the dead and undead. Winter has arrived in Colorado, and the cold has slowed down the zombies somewhat, but they are still dangerous and still hungry. Jon and his zombie cleaning partner have a couple of close calls with the zombies while cleaning out the town.

Vivian, Axl, Angus, and the rest of their little group have finally found a safe place in a gated community. Vivian still wonders about Jon and Hadley from time to time wondering if they will ever see them again. Supplies are running low, tempers are flaring. Lives are lost as well as a few close calls with zombies. The cold weather has been brutal. Depression sets in for more than one of the group’s members.

There weren’t as many zombies in New World as in other books, but I do understand why as it was freezing cold and I imagine all the characters were trying to stay inside and stay warm as a brutally cold snowy winter can sometimes be just as dangerous as zombies. I guess the question now is did I like Lost World any less than the rest of the series with it having fewer zombies? No, of course not. I love this world.

New World gave me a chance to get to know more about the characters. I got to see inside Jon’s head as well this time around as New World was told from Vivian, Axl, Ginny, and Jon’s point of view. I like getting a story from more than one character’s point of view especially if they are in different places.

When I was reading New World I got the sense of two worlds colliding. The feeling came over me when Jon was out helping to clear the streets of zombies. New World felt like The Stand meets The Walking Dead.

I fell in love with the Broken World series with the first book and I have been hooked ever since. I can’t seem to get enough of it and definitely can’t wait for the next book. While I wish I had read the Broken World series when the first book, Broken World came out I am also glad that I waited until all the books were out before reading it as I don’t have to wait for the next book as I can read them back to back.

I would like to recommend New World to all zombie fans! If you are a fan of The Walking Dead and/or The Stand one-click your copy of New World today!


Connect with Kate L. Mary:

0 comments: