Friday, March 22, 2024

Review: Shadows of the Past (The Great War of the Worlds #1) by Eric Goebelbecker

Shadows of the Past

The Great War of the Worlds #1

by Eric Goebelbecker

Published: March 15, 2024

Publisher: Trick of the Tale LLC

Genre: Science Fiction, Post-Apocalyptic, Alien Invasion, Military, Alternative History


Blurb:


It's 1915, twenty years after the Martian invasion chronicled in the War of the Worlds failed. The aliens left behind advanced technology and weapons, and now humanity is on the brink of a catastrophic war. Caught in the middle of the chaos are two unlikely heroes: Emil Zimmerman, a young German soldier, and James Brogan, an introverted radio engineer.

Emil dreamed of escaping his small village and making his way to the big city, but finds himself in the trenches fighting for an army that indiscriminately wields deadly Martian weapons. Meanwhile, James just wants to be left alone, but is pulled into a web of conspiracy when he's called upon to repair crucial radios on Long Island.

As the world hurtles towards the brink of destruction, Emil and James find themselves on a collision course with fate, each struggling to survive and make sense of a new reality.

Shadows of the Past is a science fiction, alternate history, survival adventure. Do you love War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells? Then the thrilling journey of The Great War of the Worlds, where humanity grapples with the legacy of Martian technology is the ride you're looking for.


Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ BookBub


My Review:

When I laid eyes on Eric Goebelbecker’s Shadows of the Past the first book in The Great War of the Worlds series I knew right away that I wanted to read it. I couldn’t wait to dive in and start reading. I am not sure what I thought I would find between its pages but what I found was fantastic. I wanted to it read as I loved the movie War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise.

Shadows of the Past takes place after the Martian's attack on Earth years ago. Shadows of the Past is told from two points of view. One being that of Emil Zimmerman, a young German soldier, and James Brogan, an introverted radio engineer.

Emil gets caught right in the middle of a battle that he wants no part of. Emil just wants to be left alone so he can live his life the way he wants. But when the fight begins he doesn’t have much choice but to take up arms and fight. Then there is James who also just wants to be left alone as well but is drawn into the battle to help repair radios.

Shadows of the Past grabbed me from the start and never let go until I read the last page. But wait I don’t think that is quite true as it is still on my mind. I keep picturing everything I read in my mind as I sit here writing my review. I think Shadows of the Past will stay with me for a long time to come.

The world-building of Shadows of the Past is out of this-world amazing. I can’t wait for the next book Clouds in the Future due to be published November 15, 2024. If I could give Shadows of the Past a higher rating than five I would.

I highly recommend Shadows of the Past to all science fiction fans! Grab a copy of Shadows of the Past and begin the adventure today! 


Connect with Eric Goebelbecker:

Website ~ Facebook ~ Instagram

Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ BookBub

0 comments: