Saturday, September 26, 2020

Review: Broken World (Broken World #1) by Kate L. Mary @kmary0622


Broken World

Broken World #1

by Kate L. Mary

Published: July 2, 2014

Genre: Science Fiction, Apocalyptic, Post-apocalyptic, Zombies, Horror


Blurb:


A story of survival and horror, friendship and prejudice, Broken World will take you on an emotional journey that will leave you wanting more!


When a deadly virus sweeps the country, Vivian Thomas sets out for California in hopes of seeing the daughter she gave up for adoption. But when her car breaks down she’s faced with a choice: give up or accept a ride from redneck brothers, Angus and Axl. Vivian knows the offer has more to do with her double D’s than kindness, but she’s prepared to do whatever it takes to reach her daughter.


The virus is spreading, and by the time the group makes it to California, most of the population has been wiped out. When the dead start coming back, Vivian and the others realize that no electricity or running water are the least of their concerns. Now Vivian must learn how to be a mom under the most frightening circumstances, cope with Angus’s aggressive mood swings, and sort out her growing attraction to his brooding younger brother, Axl.


While searching for a safe place to go, the group meets a pompous billionaire who may be the answer to all their problems. Trusting him means going into the middle of the Mojave Desert and possibly risking their lives, but with the streets overrun and nowhere else to turn, it seems he might be their only chance for survival.


Grab your copy before it's too late…






My Review:

A deadly virus is sweeping across the country. A young woman Vivian finds herself alone in this dark and deary world decides to make her way across the country to her home town to check on her four-year-old daughter, Emily that she gave up for adoption when she was sixteen-years-old. The adopted parents kept in touch with Vivian sending her updates on Emily but then when she was nine months old all contact stopped.

Vivian’s car decides to die just when she is leaving a restaurant. While she is deciding what she is going to do a couple of guys, Axl and Angus, brothers whom she saw in the restaurant offers her ride. Vivian doesn’t really trust the two guys but she doesn’t have much choice at this point unless she wants to walk to California. The brothers agree to take her to California to check on her daughter, Emily.

On their journey Angus, Axl and Vivian meet other survivors on the road who join up with them. I don’t think Angus was too thrilled on the idea of inviting these people to join them but Vivian didn’t give him much of a choice besides I don’t think Angus was as bad as he wanted to let on that he was. I think he liked the idea of being a bad boy but deep down I think he may just turn out to be a great ole big teddy bear with a big ole growl.

One of the guys they meet along the way says he has access to an underground bunker that only the rich could afford to buy into when money was a thing of course. Mitchell agrees to let them in the bunker if they will take him there. No one trust him but at this point it is the best idea anyone can come up with.

All the characters seemed so real human. They didn’t seem artificial like in some stories. You know like there too real to be real kind of deal. I loved the world that was created for Broken World. I loved how it didn’t just jump into the main part of the story it led you there giving you just enough to keep the pages turning waiting and wondering when the main attraction was going to make an appearance. I like that it was more than just a zombie book although I love zombies more than any creature/monster out there.

Broken World reminded me so much of The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead which are my two favorite shows of all time. I am always looking for books, TV shows and movies like The Walking Dead. I was so happy that I finally decided to pick up Broken World to find that it is so much like The Walking Dead it is spooky. I would so much like to see the Broken World on the big screen as I can’t ever get enough of post-apocalyptic and zombies.

As I was reading Broken World I felt as if I was right there with Vivian, Axl, Angus and everyone else. I felt as if I was a part of the crew. There was this one scene where everyone is looking out a window it reminded me of Stephen King’s book Langoliers where everyone is standing in the airport looking out a window at the run way.

Broken World is a very intense and exciting read that had me flipping the pages as fast as I could racing to the end to see if they were going to make to their destination. There were times when one of the characters had me laughing out loud and then there were times that I was in tears over what had just happened. I felt so bad for Vivian at times. I cannot count the times I was bouncing in my seat wondering if they were going to make it through. I can’t wait to read more in this wonderful world.

I highly recommend Broken World to all zombie fans. If you like TV shows like The Walking Dead then you are definitely going to love Broken World so get to one clicking your copy today!



Connect with Kate L. Mary:

0 comments: