Monday, April 24, 2023

Review: Deep (The Deep Blue Colony #1) by Melanie Bokstad Horev @MelanieBokstad

Deep

The Deep Blue Colony #1

by Melanie Bokstad Horev

Published: April 24, 2023

Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian


Blurb:


Welcome to Deep Blue a submerged dystopia where the president's death sparks a dangerous quest for three friends. Can they break free from the oppressive underwater forces before it's too late? Dive into this thrilling YA novel of survival and rebellion.


Ryler is a young resident of Deep Blue, an underwater colony that's home to the last survivors of a global environmental disaster. A disaster that wiped out humanity hundreds of years ago, leaving the surface air toxic and the last hope of humanity beneath the waves. After the devastating and unexpected death of his grandmother, Marna, who also happens to be the president of the colony, Ryler teams up with his friend Anna to uncover the truth behind her suspicious demise.

Their investigation takes them down a dangerous path, as they discover shocking secrets and a killer on the loose who will stop at nothing to keep the truth hidden. With time running out and their own lives on the line, Ryler, and his friends must race against the clock to solve the mystery and escape the clutches of an invisible enemy. Will they make it out alive?


Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ BookBub


My Review:

Wow! Where do I start? Deep drew me into its depths from the first page or more like the summary. Imagine living underwater in domes? Well, that is where everyone in Deep lives after the world ended. Humans have been living deep in the water in domes for hundreds of years.

Deep reminded me of a few different TV shows like The 100 and even a little bit of Stephen King’s Under the Dome. Deep reminded me of The 100 in many ways but the one that is top on my list is Deep’s releasing. When they release someone in Deep they send their bodies out in the water after their deaths. The 100 floated people when they committed a crime. Floating someone is where they send them out into space without a spaceship or spacesuit.

Deep opens with the death of their president, Ryler’s grandmother, Marna, and her releasing. Just a year before Ryler’s father was released. Ryler and his grandmother were very close. They spent a lot of time together. She taught him so much. Ryler saw something at his grandmother’s releasing that caused him to question her sudden death.

With the help of his friend Anna, they set out to find out why she died so suddenly. Was it her time to go or did someone speed up her death? Ryler will do whatever it takes to find out what really happened to his grandmother.

Their quest leads them down a deep dark path with lots of unanswered questions and twists. They kept me on the edge of my seat wanting to know all the answers myself. Will their search for answers bring about their early release?

I love the plot of Deep. I love the world that was created for Deep. I don’t believe I have ever read anything quite like it. I love the whole concept of Deep. I love the idea of people living in domes deep in the water. I love the idea of whole colonies living underwater. I can’t wait for more in this world. I can’t wait for the next book in The Deep Blue Colony series.

I enjoyed reading Deep so much that I would highly recommend it to all dystopian fans! Grab your copy of Deep today for a very intense ride that will keep you hanging on for more!  


Connect with Melanie Bokstad Horev

Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ BookBub

Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Instagram ~ Website

0 comments: