Saturday, August 10, 2024

Review: Sky Haven (The Last Refuge #1) by Melanie Bokstad Horev @MelanieBokstad

Sky Haven

The Last Refuge #1

by Melanie Bokstad Horev

Published: August 10, 2024

Genre: Science Fiction, Dystopian, Post-Apocalypse



Blurb:


The skies are their refuge. But beneath the polluted clouds lies a truth that could plunge humanity back to the ravaged Earth.

High above a toxic wasteland, Helios, a floating city, is humanity's last hope. Rory, a skilled rope-fixer, keeps their fragile haven tethered to survival. But when a brutal murder shatters the peace, Rory finds herself entangled in a web of conspiracies and lies.

Framed for murder, Rory is forced to descend to the forbidden Earth where she uncovers a hidden truth that could shatter Helios forever.

Rory must choose - succumb to the horrors of Earth or fight to expose the darkness.

A thrilling dystopian adventure where the only thing more dangerous than the secrets above is the truth below.


Goodreads ~ Amazon


My Review:

Sky Haven is the first book in a new series The Last Refuge by Melanie Bokstad Horev. Sky Haven grabbed my attention from the first page. I was pulled deep into Sky Haven’s world when I began to read. The world around me tried its best to pull me away many times, but it could not no matter how hard it tried.

Sky Haven reminds me a little bit of the TV show The 100 but it is unique and stands alone in how remarkable of a story it truly is. I love the world that was created for Sky Haven. I would love to see Sky Haven made into a TV show. Sky Haven would be one of those shows I would watch over and over.

I have read many books by Melanie Bokstad Horev and loved them all. I don’t think I could pick a favorite if I tried but I will say this Sky Haven is right up there at the top of the list. Sky Haven is one of those stories that is going to stay with me for a long time to come.

The world-building is just awesome. The descriptions are so vividly written I had no problem picturing what I read in my mind as if I were a part of the story. There were many surprising twists that I never saw coming. I couldn’t believe what I was reading.

Sky Haven is a story about people who live in the sky because the Earth below has become uninhabitable from pollution. Something terrible is going on in Sky Haven but no one knows what.
Rory comes home one day after a long day working and finds her husband, Asher dead in their home. Was he murdered? Further, who would want to harm him and why? Rory is arrested for his murder and sent to Earth with other prisoners.

Rory was supposed to get a team together to go to Earth for supplies before Asher’s death but there were not enough prisoners at the time to make the trip. Rory was given the assignment to pick suitable people to make the trip.

The question remains. Who killed Asher? This also brings up even more questions like did Rory kill her husband? If so why? If not is she being framed? If she is being framed who would do such a thing and why?

Lots and lots of unanswered questions. How can you find the answers you may ask? Well, the only way I know is to read Sky Haven. Trust me you won’t regret it. Grab yourself a copy of Sky Haven today to find out what happened to Asher and Rory.  

  


Connect with Melanie Bokstad Horev

Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ BookBub

Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Instagram ~ Website

 

0 comments: